Saturday, September 29, 2007

Safe Travels.

Funky building.

View to the north.

Government building.

View to the South, Presidental Palace in the distance.

Under construction.

Tallest building in town.

The Mosque.

Government building.

View to the east.
Friday morning we flew from Petro to the new capital of Kazakhstan, Astana. Because the capital has been recently relocated the President of the country has allocated serious money to get things up to snuff. It looks more like Las Vegas than Kazakhstan. It was real shocker to see all the new buildings, lights, and hustle and bustle. We hired a driver for a couple of hours to show us around and get some photos. The Baiterek, the tower in the center of town, and made a wish at the highest point, it's a local custom. Aftewards we spent the evening with a couple from California doing Humanitarian work. Great company and mexican food, can't beat that.
The Baiterek.
Making a wish.

Saturday morning came early as the wake up call rang promptly at 4 am. We had a flight that left at 7 am for Vienna and considering our last close call in Astana, we weren't taking any chances with missing this time. By 1:30 pm Kazak time, Vienna was a reality and after a couple hour layover we were Chicago bound. Now I'm not really a fan on sitting on a plane for 10 hours but Austrian Air was the best carrier I've ever flown. Food was great and I caught up on some movies. And all in all, it wasn't too bad. The last 30 minutes were tough on the kids as the lack of sleep started to take its toll. Janse fell victim and crashed 10 minutes before we landed and Denver tried as we taxied in. I refused to have 2 dead Indians so I prodded him, forcing him to tell me jokes and stories until we unloaded.

Once in Chicago food was in order. The mind willing but the flesh was weak and besides myself it mostly went to waste. Our three hour layover turned into four as our plane had some issues. When we finally boarded everyone was together in the front row, except me. I was all the way in the back. Which, turned out nice as we moved a few people around and I got some breathing room. Debbie wasn't as fortunate. She had been seated in front of the "loud talker", and despite me and the boys getting some shut eye, she had a very long, noisy, bumpy, 3 1/2 hour flight.

Shortly before landing I sat up and looked out the window. We were high above the cloud layer. It was dark and for the first time in a month I realized I hadn't seen the stars. Suddenly, the plane banked hard left over Brigham City and right in front of my eyes was the Big Dipper in all it's glory. I couldn't help but make a wish, a wish for ALL the children we had loved, and left, that the watchful eye of the God of Heaven might be upon them.

There is a time a place for everything. Indeed, it was hard to leave, but it feels good to be home. Thanks to all for your support and love.

guy

4 comments:

ReNae said...

Welcome home! We are glad that you made it home ok. Love you all!

Big hugs!

Nay

Nikolas said...

Welcome back, ye travelers of the world!

-Nik

Anonymous said...

I hope this isn't the last of your blog entries! I've loved reading everything. I've waited for the best time to start commenting and apparently I've chosen this as my time.

I'm so happy for you all! Julia and Olivia couldn't ask for better parents and brothers!

Joyce said...

Dear Guy, Deb, Boys and Girls,
I miss looking at your blog every day. When will we hear more?
Joyce/Kaz Grama