Sunday, September 16, 2007

Raw Meat and Spare Parts-Bonding Day 10

The Three Stooges

Today peace reigned supreme and we all went to the market. Cade finally got his hat! We wondered around the market for a little while and found two interesting things. First of all we went into building we hadn’t gone in before and it was obvious that it was the food building. It kind of smelled a little funny which made me a little apprehensive. What are they selling in here? Well, at the other side of the building, they were selling a whole lot of raw meat! That’s right, raw meat of all kinds just hanging there in two big areas. The meat tables were set up in a big square with the workers and scales on the inside and big signs with pictures of the type of meat being sold along with Russian and Kazakh word for the animal. It looked really gross. I am definitely not used to the sight of that, but I will say that the quality of the meat looked pretty good. I wish I knew how to ask if it was grass fed and free range. But the sight of it was still kind of turning my stomach a bit and I questioned the whole non refrigeration thing going on.
Fire up the barby baby!
This little piggy went to market...

After leaving that building we went looking for a “bike/car part” section of the market that Guy had seen earlier in the week on a morning run. We had a tough time finding it and then gave up. But as we were walking towards the place we were going to have lunch, there it was! It was just on the other side of the market and of course Guy had to scope it out. It was the craziest conglomerate of used and rusted parts I had ever seen for cars and bikes. Every man’s dream I suppose to have a garage full of that! I was just glad we weren’t at home because Guy would have probably walked off with his very own box of odd and ends “just in case” the neighbor needs a spare something or other for the old mower he doesn’t have yet.


One man's trash...is another man's trash!

By the time we got back to the hotel, the girls came. We did some more alphabet, numbers and new, to today, were greetings. Then we went to the amusement park again and rode a couple of rides. The boys were big enough to ride these kid sized four wheelers and man they really haul! We did the bumper cars as a family and no one died although I was in the car with Yulia and she ran head on into the steel railing like three times. I though my head was going to pop off! Then Guy finally got to ride the speedy grownup go carts he has been eyeing for 10 days now. They are crazy fast like all the other Kazakh rides and you get 5 minutes of drive time per turn. There is a double seater car so Janse and Denver got to have a turn, while Cade and Igor, our translater got to ride in their own cars. A total man fest! We then all walked back to the hotel and said good bye for the day to the girls.

Kazakh school of driving. Seatbelts optional.

2 comments:

Lee Perry said...

Guy and Deb
Am glad you found the meat market. At least there is meat to be had. That is why you cook it to kill all the bad stuff. You can count on it not having any hormonies or anything like that. In Zambia I could buy any part of the beef and they would hang it in the cool box for 2 weeks so it would nice and tender. All cuts were the same price so I would by sirlon roast and cut them into steaks and freeze them in my flat. When Mom and the 2 girls came over I won 1/4 beef in a raffle. It was not hung and was what I called Mazabuca longhorn. It sure was tough but we ate it anyway. What is the exchange rate for tenge/dollars? Is there an offical rate and also a black market rate? The black rate is usually better.
I have been bragging to everyone that I have 2 new granddaugters.
by the way Don DeCamp sends his best. He would like to talk to you via email. He says to watch the race results this next month.
Love Dad

Lee Perry said...

Guy and family,
Chloe has come to spend a few days with us. We went shopping and got her a pair of church shoes and socks. She looks sharp. We went to Church and she had a ball. She was telling us all the things she learned. I am sure the next time the Ren and Sid go with Grandma Archibald, Chloe will want to go also as she had so much fun.
I went to looks at some digital cameras today. Asked Nalene to help me find something for Grandma so we can enter this century. Also will ask NeeSee for her input. If Mom has it see may be able to send you some pictures or other things.
Love Grandpa