Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Julia and Olivia--bonding day 12



Morning washing of the streets-This is actually the pedistrian only street-Constitution Ave.



Old House
Old House





New house still under construction



Lunch is big here. We have yet to figure out how not to order too much when we are at a restaurant and I am not adventurous enough to order mystery meet kabobs from the street vendors. So big lunch it is. It is also a good thing we have to walk everywhere to help walk off the big lunches. Today we wandered for a while trying to find a store that we never found. That didn’t go over well with the boys. But Guy made amends by buying them ice cream.

Today’s big excitement was Jansen throwing up in the pool when we were swimming with Olia and Yulia. He actually caught it in his mouth! I didn’t know people could actually do that. Janse hopped out of the pool and made it to a trash can. Well, we all got out of the pool anyway and I wasn’t too worried because Janse has a sensitive stomach so this happens every now and then. He was fine and happy within a minute. I was just grossed out. I forgot to take picture of the girls today. I felt bad, but I wasn’t feeling well and was in cruise mode. When they left I just played it mellow and watched The Lucille Ball show DVD.

The interesting thing also was last night’s phone call from our interpreter, Igor. He called at 10:30pm and I was almost asleep. Our Regional Coordinator had just gotten through to him at a late hour and needed to know the names we will be giving the girls. Even though we had already decided on their names, it was weird to be pinned down. We are sticking with Americanizing their current names. Yulia will become Julia and Olia will be Olivia. We are not giving them middle names so that they can keep Perry as their middle name when they get married. I understand that, but am a little sad. I wanted to name them Julia Christine (my middle name) and Olivia Ann (Guy’s mom’s middle name,) but I guess in the long run of life, it will serve them better to be able to keep their maiden name. That is what Guy’s sisters have been able to do and Guy liked the idea. So Julia Perry and Olivia Perry it is. This will hold true unless we change our mind upon the American Readoption process. Which, by the way, is a cheap and easy process where you end up with legal copies of things, like birth certificates, in English.

2 comments:

Dori said...

Thanks for the pictures of the houses. I'll take the new one; it looks quite similar to what is being constructed here!

Hope Janse is all better.

Love
Mom.

BWakefield said...

We adopted an 11 month old little girl in Sept 01 from the Petro "baby house." Diana will soon be 7 yrs old. I can't believe it has been 6 years!

You can give the girls a middle name now that they can change when they marry. When they get married, they can drop the middle name and use Perry as their middle name. You have to change your name legally anyway when you marry so it is not a big deal. That is what I did when I got married! :)

Best wishes for the remainder of your journey! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!!

Beth